Published on the
Here are some of the things that have been collecting dust in my bookmarks since June. I missed a lot of things shared online since. I hope one day I can catch up. This really isn't my year when it comes to sharing bookmarks. Luckily, the world won't end because of it!
Bookmarks related to tech and web development
- A Guide To CSS Debugging by Stephanie Eckles.
- A Deep Dive Into object-fit And background-size In CSS by Ahmad Shadeed.
- Respecting Users’ Motion Preferences by Michelle Barker.
- Podcast accessibility.
- An incomplete list of skills senior engineers need, beyond coding by Camille Fournier.
- Does my site deserve recognition?
- The Double Exploitation of Deepfake Porn by Maggie MacDonald.
- Advice for my younger developer self by Sally Lait.
- A Complete Guide To Accessibility Tooling by Nic Chan.
- Open source, experimental, and tiny tools roundup.
- Nostalgia is bullshit
- GSAP 3 Cheat Sheet
- Stop building websites for iPhones by David Sommers.
- Improving Cumulative Layout Shift at Telegraph Media Group by Chris Boakes.
- Inspecting Sizes by Michelle Barker.
- How to Eliminate Render-Blocking Resources: a Deep Dive by Sia Karamalegos.
- Accessibility of the section element by Scott O'Hara.
- The State Of The Web by Jeremy Keith.
- An update on the accessibility of conditionally revealed questions
- What they don’t tell you when you translate your app by Eric W Bailey.
- Improving The Accessibility Of Your Markdown by Eric W Bailey.
- On Tech Management by Shelby Spees.
- Building a Pet Cam using a Raspberry Pi, Cloudflare Tunnels and Teams by Mohak Kataria.
- I didn’t know how to write about my sister’s death - so I had AI do it for me by Vauhini Vara.
- Quibbles With Social Share Imagery by Jim Nielsen.
- AI deepfakes of Anthony Bourdain’s voice are only a taste of what’s coming by Matt Pearce.
- The Burnout List by Frank Chimero.
- "transphobic hate has stolen the colours of the suffragettes to identify themselves"
- Why Can’t We Be Friends by Brendan Mackie.
- #UnsilenceTheConversation Content note: pregnancy loss
- Dr. Amy Cutler - films.
Published on the
I'm not gonna lie - I'm quite disappointed in myself that I still haven't got my poop together and gone back to doing this monthly. I managed to write some blog posts since March but all those happened because I milked really hard the surge of energy I had at that moment.
As I've gone a bit quieter, the following quote has been haunting me every time I sign in on Twitter.
On the platform, silence isn’t an option, at least not if you want the network to remember you exist.
Bookmarks related to tech and web development
- How to display language-specific quotes in CSS by Stefan Judis
- Accessible Icon Buttons by Sara Soueidan.
- Sharing deepfake images ‘must be made a crime’ by Jonathan Ames.
- Hiding content responsibily by Kitty Giraudel.
- System fonts don’t have to be ugly by Iain Bean.
- Questionable Advice: “How can I sniff out bad managers while interviewing for a job?” by Charity Majors.
- Digging Into CSS Logical Properties by Ahmad Shadeed.
- A Generative SVG Starter Kit by George Francis.
- The Mobile Performance Inequality Gap, 2021 by Alex Russell.
- Pa. woman created ‘deepfake’ videos to force rivals off daughter’s cheerleading squad by Jana Benscoter.
- Why is an individual contributor like a Tetris block? by Denise Yu.
- Perfect fullscreen 4:3 aspect ratio by Remy Sharp.
- 100 underline/overlay animations | The ultimate CSS collection by Temani Afif.
- Noise & gradient by Clara B.
- The internet didn’t kill counterculture—you just won’t find it on Instagram by Caroline Busta.
- A tale of languages by Kitty Giraudel.
- Kentrosaurus by Michelle Barker.
- Mistakes I’ve Made as an Engineering Manager by Sarah Drasner.
- Defining a strategy for accessibility by Craig Abbott.
- No feigning surprise by Julia Evans.
- After Working at Google, I’ll Never Let Myself Love a Job Again by Emi Nietfeld.
- A Target Sex-Trafficking Hoax Is Going Viral on TikTok by EJ Dickson.
- How to make an ineffective 404 page by Eric W Bailey.
- My current HTML boilerplate by Manuel Matuzovic.
- Beauty filters are changing the way young girls see themselves by Tate Ryan-Mosleyarchive.
- Build a fancy hover animation by Andy Bell.
- The Layers of the Web by Jeremy Keith.
- Understanding Logical Focus Order by Rachel Leggett.
- The Beauty Of Tiny Enhancements In CSS by Ahmad Shadeed.
- Bulletproofing Embedded Tweets by Adrian Roselli.
- The Importance of Career Laddering by Sarah Drasner.
- Project base for Eleventy Sites by Andy Bell.
- How TikTok Chooses Which Songs Go Viral by Shelly Banjo.
- Make a personal changelog by Brian Lovin.
- Your cut-and-keep guide to the “unregulated wild west internet” by Heather Burns.
- Awesome standalones by Dave Rupert.
- Going public by Martin Schneider.
- Flora by Hakim El Hattab.
- Left alone, together by Jenny Zhang.
- How to Add a Double Border to SVG Shapes by Mariana Beldi.
- The Pocket Technical Writing List by Stephanie Morillo.
- Creating Generative SVG Characters by Michelle Barker.
- Learn How to Build Accessible Web Apps by Marcy Sutton.
- Digital Gardening for Non-Technical Folks by Maggie Appleton.
- Auditing Design Systems for Accessibility by Anna E. Cook.
- Accessibility testing as a screen reader user by Isabel Holdsworth.
- Design for reading: tips for optimizing content for Reader modes and reading apps by Sara Soueidan.
- Simple things are complicated: making a show password option by Andy Sellick.
- Why I write weeknotes by Steve Messer.
- Automatically generate open graph images in Eleventy by Bernard Nijenhuis.
- Don’t use custom CSS mouse cursors by Eric W Bailey.
- Introducing: an Eleventy starter project for WCAG reports by Hidde de Vries.
- Inclusive UX in an era of anxiety by Cara Brashears.
- What are “unusual characters” by Terence Eden.
- Twitter to OPLM by Luca Hammer.
- HTML Inputs and Labels: A Love Story by Amber Wilson.
- Get the FLoC out by Jeremy Keith.
- Swipey Image Grids by Cassie Evans.
- A Primer On CSS Container Queries by Stephanie Eckles.
- Create a Liquid Hover Effect with GSAP & SVG by George Francis.
- Blog about what you've struggled with by Julia Evans.
- The cage by Jeremy Keith.
- In defense of disorder: on career, creativity, and professionalism by Chiara Amisola.
- How Portugal silenced ‘centuries of violence and trauma’ by Ana Naomi de Sousa.
- All culture is cancel culture (via twitter).
- How not to say the wrong thing by Susan Silk and Barry Goldman.
- Crab mentality (via twitter).
- My identity = my job has a dark side (via twitter).
- For some, Wii Fit’s legacy is body shame by Ana Diaz.
- My first novel was a hit. I could write full-time. And that made me … angry by Kevin Power.
- Shantay, You Pay: Inside the Heavy Financial Burden of Going On ‘Drag Race’ by Rachel Miller.
- EU citizens arriving in UK being locked up and expelled by Giles Tremlett and Lisa O'Carroll.
- Boundary Setting vs Tone Policing by Miri.
- Just because your early career was hell doesn't mean others' has to be by Anne Helen Petersen.
- Hope in the dark: a post for mental health awareness week by Amy Hupe.
Published on the
The thing about loss is that it just doesn't seem to end. It gets easier though. One day you wake you and you're feeling fine but one insignificant action somehow opens the gates for the sadness to creep in. And then that's it. The floodgates open and the tears come out.
If I thought the last months of 2020 were somewhat hard, January really proved me wrong. I do regret that I neglected my monthly bookmarks post. I've been wondering if I should start sharing the bookmarks individually like some folks do so that it doesn't pile up. I will think about it.
I'm sure I accidentally missed some bookmarks - a consequence of delaying sharing them. I hope that I can catch up on my missed bookmarks in my next post. It is also likely that I accidentally missed some posts from friends. Being online hasn't been a priority for me.
Take care friends.
Bookmarks related to tech or web development
- 11ty Rocks by Stephanie Eckles.
- Accessibility of Content Management Systems – what’s stopping us? by Marie Manandise.
- Inside the fight to rid the world of abusive stalkerware by Helena Pozniak.
- Falsehoods Programmers Believe About Names – With Examples by Tony Rogers.
- GIFS and prefers-reduced-motion by Chris Coyier.
- Parsing Markdown into an Automated Table of Contents by Lisi Linhart.
- Accessibility Acceptance Criteria.
- 7 Tips for Career Advancement and Personal Fulfillment by Kim Maida.
- Why it’s easy to hate Facebook but hard to leave by Heather Kelly.
- Time to Cache Up by Chris Burnell.
- Plaiceholder by Joe Bell.
- A Dynamically-Sized Sticky Sidebar with HTML and CSS by Ryan Mulligan.
- The impact of online gender-based violence on women in public life by Web Foundation.
- Weaving Web Accessibility With Usability by Uri Paz.
- So you wanna create an eco-friendly website by Eric Bailey.
- Boomarks #3 by Steve Messer.
- Stop Giving af and Start Writing More by Joel Hooks.
- The Rules of Margin Collapse by Joshua Comeau.
- Web Alamanc - Accessibility by Olu Niyi-Awosusi and Alex Tait.
- Facebook Derangement Syndrome by Heather Burns.
- Accessible icon links by Kitty Giraudel.
- SVG Path Editor
- The coming war on the hidden algorithms that trap people in poverty by Karen Hao.
- How To Use The Spotify API and Netlify Functions To Build A “Now Playing” Widget by Henry Desroches.
- Alt vs Figcaption by Elaina Natario.
- Not Much by Ire Aderinokun.
- Facebook Is a Doomsday Machine by Adrienne LaFrance.
- Using Airtable as a database to store realtime messages by Srushtika Neelakantam.
- Webbish by Remy Sharp.
- Interface localisation: adapting text fields for RTL languages by Mitya Kuznetsov.
- Search Engine Optimization Checklist (PDF) by Frederick O’Brien.
- Small b blogging by Tom Critchlow.
- This used to be our playground by Simon Collison.
- Designing with Empathy: Don’t by Doc Parsons.
- Content-visibility and Accessible Semantics by Marcy Sutton.
- Are your anchor links accessible? by Amber Wilson.
- Algorithms Behaving Badly: 2020 Edition by The Markup Staff.
- He spent 10 days in jail after facial recognition software led to the arrest of the wrong man, lawsuit says by Anthony G. Attrino.
- Inside the Strange World of YouTube Thumbnails by Louise Matsakis.
- Eleventy-Parcel by Michelle Barker.
- Eleventy Plugin Template by Stephanie Eckles.
- Give your Eleventy Site Superpowers with Environment Variables by Andy Bell.
- Thoughts on screen readers and image recognition by Léonie Watson.
- How To Make Seamless Patterns by Yuan Chuan.
- How I turned my Goodreads data into a self-hosted website with Eleventy by Hidde de Vries.
- Architecting data in Eleventy by Sia Karamalegos.
- The Art of Building Real-life Components by Ahmad Shadeed.
- Distributed toxicity and the IndieWeb by Fluffy.
- Simple Social Image Resizer by Chris Johnson.
- Front-End Performance Checklist 2021 by Vitaly Friedman.
- The Surprising Things That CSS Can Animate by Will Boyd.
- Grids Part 2: Semantics by Sarah Higley.
- SVG Crop by Steve Dennett.
- An AI saw a cropped photo of AOC. It autocompleted her wearing a bikini by Karen Hao.
- Why Generation X will save the web by Heather Burns
- Authentication by Jeremy Keith.
- Uniwidth typefaces for interface design by Lisa Staudinger.
- Create a generative landing page & WebGL powered background animation by George Francis.
- Command Line Basics: A Short & Sweet Introduction by Tae'lur Alexis.
- Exposing.ai by by Adam Harvey and Jules LaPlace.
- How to Add Instagram Timeline To a NextJS Site by Monica Powell.
- Accessibility auditing and ego by Eric W Bailey.
- Finding an Element’s Nearest Relative Positioned Ancestor by Michelle Barker.
- Implement a Skip Link for Navigation-Heavy Sites by Ben Myers.
- Link Targets and 3.2.5 by Adrian Roselli.
- Improve the readability of the content on your website by Andy Bell.
- Create Responsive Image Effects With CSS Gradients And aspect-ratio by Stephanie Eckles.
- CoronaShock and Patriarchy.
- 80 percent of those who died of Covid-19 in Texas county jails were never convicted of a crime by Jerusalem Demsas.
- The Uncanny Valley of Culture by Damon.
- Hancock's former neighbour won Covid test kit work after WhatsApp message by Felicity Lawrence.
- The time has come to take the self out of self-care by Tanmoy Goswami.
- Reading list picks of 2020 by Steve Messer.
- The Real Reason Local Newspapers are Dying by Lyz.
- A beginner's guide to being an ally to trans people by Ted Ravago.
- The family with no fingerprints by Mir Sabbir.
- Trail cam footage of opossum and a skunk.
- Figuring Out What You Need To Flourish In The New Year by Nina Dearden.
- Compassionate action over empathy by Tatiana Mac.
- Lockdown ramifications.
- Why You Need to Stop Using These Words and Phrases by Rakshitha Arni Ravishankar.
- In Germany, your ex must destroy nude photos on request by Ben Knight.
- I Knew the Vessel Was Going to Have a Suicide Problem Years Before It Was Built by Audrey Wachs.
- Us vs them: the sinister techniques of ‘Othering’ – and how to avoid them by John A Powell.
- Twitter’s Most Infamous Stan Account Speaks by Sangeeta Singh-Kurtz.
- Far-right extremists take over UK land sales Facebook page by Alex Hern.
- In defense of disorder: on career, creativity, and professionalism by Chiara Amisola.
- How I recovered from imposter syndrome after changing career to software engineering by Frances Maxwell.
- Meet the Customer Service Reps for Disney and Airbnb Who Have to Pay to Talk to You by Ken Armstrong, Justin Elliott and Ariana Tobin.
- Hoarding Is All Too Familiar To Second Generation Brits. Here's Why by Deborah Yewande Bankole.
- Content moderation won’t stop the spread of disinformation. Here’s why by Jillian C. York
- The Lies Hollywood Tells About Little Girls by Mara Wilson.
Published on the
The whole September I was quite overwhelmed with work and life. I remember that in September "The Social Dilemma" came out. I don't remember a lot more weirdly.
In October I managed to take two weeks off! Visited the Isle of Wight for the first time to celebrate my birthday. Last week I took some time off to study for my "Life in the UK" exam. I also took an English exam. And I passed both!! Now I have the basics to begin the process to apply for British citizenship.
Time is still blur. Some days are particularly hard. It is what it is.
Bookmarks related to tech or web development:
- Web accessibility checklist by Bruce Lawson.
- Digital gardens let you cultivate your own little bit of the internet by Tanya Basuarchive.
- Dyslexia friendly style guide by The British Dyslexia Association.
- Magnet Fingers by Charlotte Dann.
- SVG Line animation by Thea.
- A11y Coffee.
- Pocket pattern.
- How to make your VSCode sparkle by Monica Powell.
- How to audit your website on a budget.
- "Telling people to delete Facebook won’t fix the internet" by Adi Robertson.
- "How CSS Perspective Works" by Amit Sheen.
- "A framework for focusing your learning goals" by Sally Lait.
- "Tips on Making Sure Hidden Content is Accessible (or Not!)" by Scott Vinkle.
- Thread on Algorithms and Black Faces.
- "Data Privacy Exhaustion Is Real" by Simon Pitt.
- "Writing even more CSS with Accessibility in Mind, Part 2: Respecting user preferences" by Manuel Matuzovic.
- "The most useful accessibility testing tools and techniques" by Artem Sapegin.
- You've heard of tax havens. After Brexit, the UK could become a 'data haven' by Carissa Véliz.
- "Honor the ADA: Avoid Web Accessibility Quick-Fix Overlays".
- "Portals and giant carousels" by Jeremy Keith.
- "Why I Don’t Have Time For Your Coding Challenge" by Michelle Barker.
- "Pom-poms and pig's bladders: the traditions of Germany's Black Forest – in pictures" by Mee-Lai Stone.
- "Candy-coloured photographs of LA's glorious hidden beauty by George Byrne" written by Katy Cowan.
- "Parents Got More Time Off. Then the Backlash Started." by Daisuke Wakabayashi and Sheera Frenkel.
- "How not to be an alien" By Frank Trentmann.
- Brexit/Ireland/Trade thread.
- "How Photo Retouching Worked Before Photoshop" by Jocelyn Sears.
- "Japan’s Lost Generation Is Still Jobless and Living With Their Parents" by Yoshiaki Nohara.
- "You Don’t Batch Cook When You’re Suicidal" by Jack.
- "The Overwhelming Racism Of COVID Coverage" by Indi Samarajiva.
- Buying Myself Back by Emily Ratajkowski.
Published on the
The highlight of the month was: My article for Smashing Magazine went live!! Please read (and share if you think someone else would like it too)! 🤗
Bookmarks from August
- System UIcons by Corey Ginnivan.
- Transparent textures by Mike Hearn.
- Debugging HTML With Advanced CSS Selectors by Matthias Ott.
- Multiple drop-shadows on clipped element by Michelle Barker.
- Rainbow color selection by Louis Hoebregts.
- Drop-Shadow: The Underrated CSS Filter by Michelle Barker.
- Build vs Buy: Software Systems at Jurassic Park by Todd Gardner.
- Gradient angles in CSS by Nils Binder.
- Feature flags by Sunil Pai.
- Figuring out how to mark up a figure by Sebastian Greger.
- Convert HTML to Accessible PDF by Nick Colley.
- a11y is web accessibility by Eric W Bailey.
- Generative art by Ilithya.
- a11y-tests.css by Manuel Matuzovic.
- smoothscroll.css by Zach Leatherman.
- The difference between aria-label and aria-labelledby by Léonie Watson.
- Here’s what I didn’t know about “content” by Manuel Matuzovic.
- Incremental progress by Fluffy.
- Spirited Away CSS Illustration by Inès.
- RolandMC-500.css by Sarah Fossheim.
- Web History by Jay Hoffmann.
- Take Me On by Adam Kuhn.
Nice things on personal websites
- Adding Structured Book Data to My Blog Posts by Ana Ulin.
- Gratitude by Amberley Romo.
- My First Homebrew Website Club Meeting by James Gallagher.
- Being OK With Not Being Extraordinary by Tiffany Matthé.
- This website is killing the planet by Steve Messer.
- Personal Portfolio Refresh by Lisi Linhart.
- A Permanent Nightmare’: Pinterest Moderators Fight to Keep Horrifying Content Off the Platform by Sarah Emerson.
- Structural Racism and it's Influence on GPs/Dermatologist by Harriet.
- The Pandemic Isn’t Forcing Moms Out of the Workforce — Dads Are by Jessica Valenti.
- You want people to do the right thing? Save them the guilt trip by Claudia R Schneider.
- Millennials Slammed by Second Financial Crisis Fall Even Further Behind by Janet Adamy.
- The Mesmerizing Geometry of Malaysia’s Most Complex Cakes by Samantha Chong.
- How social justice slideshows took over Instagram by Terry Nguyen.
- Ubisoft's #MeToo Reckoning, Two Months Later by Ethan Gach and Ash Parrish.
- When Polaroid Workers Fought Apartheid by Michael McCanne.
- Facebook algorithm found to 'actively promote' Holocaust denial by Mark Townsend.
- So you want to build antiracist teams? by Erica Stanley.
- A philosopher accused of sexual harassment started a company to advise on business ethics by Olivia Goldhill.
- On all that fuckery by Kat Fukui.
- A Message To TikTok Parents Who Use My Face To Make Their Kids Cry by Melissa Blake.
- Harassers are nice to me, and probably to you by Sarah Milstein.
- Britain can’t afford to miss this chance to clean up the web by Salma Shah. (Note: I didn't actually read this one because I don't have a subscription.)
- Activists and tech companies met to talk about online violence against women: here are the takeaways.
- Unconsenting Media.
- What trauma sometimes is.
- Productivity Anxiety by Dani Donovan.
- Google sheets trick.
- On not being social.
- Edinburgh Samoyed Rescue.
- How the email finds me.
- Malicious compliance.
- Relatable alligator.
- On authors.
- Two types of dogs.
And now, in all honesty, my article was indeed the highlight of the month. Mostly because I struggled a lot with my mental health this past month. Maybe it is because I read a lot of unhappy things (my "others" section is nightmare fuel) but I can't help it. I can't just escape. Just a hopeless, powerless and anxious month. Hopefully this September I... feel better.
PS.: I am almost certain I missed some links here of awesome stuff friends did. I'm sorry... My brain isn't fully here recently.