The highlight of the month was: My article for Smashing Magazine went live!! Please read (and share if you think someone else would like it too)! 🤗
Bookmarks from August
- System UIcons by Corey Ginnivan.
- Transparent textures by Mike Hearn.
- Debugging HTML With Advanced CSS Selectors by Matthias Ott.
- Multiple drop-shadows on clipped element by Michelle Barker.
- Rainbow color selection by Louis Hoebregts.
- Drop-Shadow: The Underrated CSS Filter by Michelle Barker.
- Build vs Buy: Software Systems at Jurassic Park by Todd Gardner.
- Gradient angles in CSS by Nils Binder.
- Feature flags by Sunil Pai.
- Figuring out how to mark up a figure by Sebastian Greger.
- Convert HTML to Accessible PDF by Nick Colley.
- a11y is web accessibility by Eric W Bailey.
- Generative art by Ilithya.
- a11y-tests.css by Manuel Matuzovic.
- smoothscroll.css by Zach Leatherman.
- The difference between aria-label and aria-labelledby by Léonie Watson.
- Here’s what I didn’t know about “content” by Manuel Matuzovic.
- Incremental progress by Fluffy.
- Spirited Away CSS Illustration by Inès.
- RolandMC-500.css by Sarah Fossheim.
- Web History by Jay Hoffmann.
- Take Me On by Adam Kuhn.
Nice things on personal websites
- Adding Structured Book Data to My Blog Posts by Ana Ulin.
- Gratitude by Amberley Romo.
- My First Homebrew Website Club Meeting by James Gallagher.
- Being OK With Not Being Extraordinary by Tiffany Matthé.
- This website is killing the planet by Steve Messer.
- Personal Portfolio Refresh by Lisi Linhart.
- A Permanent Nightmare’: Pinterest Moderators Fight to Keep Horrifying Content Off the Platform by Sarah Emerson.
- Structural Racism and it's Influence on GPs/Dermatologist by Harriet.
- The Pandemic Isn’t Forcing Moms Out of the Workforce — Dads Are by Jessica Valenti.
- You want people to do the right thing? Save them the guilt trip by Claudia R Schneider.
- Millennials Slammed by Second Financial Crisis Fall Even Further Behind by Janet Adamy.
- The Mesmerizing Geometry of Malaysia’s Most Complex Cakes by Samantha Chong.
- How social justice slideshows took over Instagram by Terry Nguyen.
- Ubisoft's #MeToo Reckoning, Two Months Later by Ethan Gach and Ash Parrish.
- When Polaroid Workers Fought Apartheid by Michael McCanne.
- Facebook algorithm found to 'actively promote' Holocaust denial by Mark Townsend.
- So you want to build antiracist teams? by Erica Stanley.
- A philosopher accused of sexual harassment started a company to advise on business ethics by Olivia Goldhill.
- On all that fuckery by Kat Fukui.
- A Message To TikTok Parents Who Use My Face To Make Their Kids Cry by Melissa Blake.
- Harassers are nice to me, and probably to you by Sarah Milstein.
- Britain can’t afford to miss this chance to clean up the web by Salma Shah. (Note: I didn't actually read this one because I don't have a subscription.)
- Activists and tech companies met to talk about online violence against women: here are the takeaways.
- Unconsenting Media.
- What trauma sometimes is.
- Productivity Anxiety by Dani Donovan.
- Google sheets trick.
- On not being social.
- Edinburgh Samoyed Rescue.
- How the email finds me.
- Malicious compliance.
- Relatable alligator.
- On authors.
- Two types of dogs.
And now, in all honesty, my article was indeed the highlight of the month. Mostly because I struggled a lot with my mental health this past month. Maybe it is because I read a lot of unhappy things (my "others" section is nightmare fuel) but I can't help it. I can't just escape. Just a hopeless, powerless and anxious month. Hopefully this September I... feel better.
PS.: I am almost certain I missed some links here of awesome stuff friends did. I'm sorry... My brain isn't fully here recently.